On 17 October 2022, Alzheimer Europe organised its Annual General Meeting (AGM) with representatives of its national member organisations. 33 out of 34 full members were in attendance or were represented. Alzheimer Europe celebrated its achievements in 2021 and shared its plans for 2023 and its 2021-2022 finances with meeting participants and observers.
The AGM also voted on new membership applications. Existing provisional member MTÜ Elu Dementsusega (Estonia) was welcomed as a full member of Alzheimer Europe, while Alzheimer Polska (Poland) and Demenz Selbsthilfe Austria (Austria) were welcomed as new full members.
Alzheimer’s Care Armenia (Armenia), Demencija Lietuvoje (Lithuania), Institute for Alzheimer’s disease and neuroscience (North Macedonia), O Srpskom udruženju za Alchajmerovu bolest (Serbia) and Nezabutni (Ukraine) were voted in as provisional members of Alzheimer Europe. Going forward, Alzheimer Europe will represent 41 members from 37 European countries.
At the meeting, the Statutes and Rules and Regulations of Alzheimer Europe were amended to allow the organisation to set up a European Dementia Carers Working Group.
The AGM then voted to elect the 2022-2024 Board:
• Chairperson: Rosário Zincke dos Reis (Portugal), newly elected to this position
• Vice-Chairperson: Charles Scerri (Malta), re-elected
• Honorary Secretary: Mario Possenti (Italy), newly elected
• Honorary Treasurer: Marco Blom (Netherlands), re-elected
• Stefanie Becker (Switzerland), re-elected
• René Friederici (Luxembourg), re-elected
• Lorène Gilly (France), newly elected
• Andy Heffernan (Ireland), newly elected
• Martina Mátlová (Czech Republic), newly elected
• Mary-Frances Morris (Scotland, UK), newly elected
• Chris Roberts, re-elected as Chairperson of the European Working Group of People with Dementia (EWGPWD), ex-officio Board member with full voting rights
• Katariina Suomu (Finland), newly elected
• Jochen René Thyrian (Germany), newly elected
Congratulations to all of them and a warm welcome to all new Board members. Outgoing Chairperson Iva Holmerová, outgoing Honorary Secretary James Pearson and outgoing Board members Sabine Jansen, Pat McLoughlin, Sirpa Pietikäinen, MEP and Karin Westerlund did not stand for re-election. Alzheimer Europe and its Board would like to thank all of them for their service and important contributions and wish them all the very best.
Finally, the AGM unanimously adopted Alzheimer Europe’s 2023 Work Plan and Budget.