This application for a four-year framework partnership agreement is fully focused on dementia, one of the areas specifically identified as a priority area in the 2017 Call for proposals for operating grants. It builds on the work carried out by Alzheimer Europe in successive operating grants as part of its current framework partnership agreement (2015-2017). The activities of Alzheimer Europe under its new 2018-2021 Framework Programme will be responding to the 2009 Commission Communication on a European initiative on Alzheimer's disease and the 2015 Council conclusions on supporting people living with dementia: improving care policies and practices”. The four-year programme aims at assisting the Commission in addressing these recommendations with a particular focus on
1. Providing a voice to people with dementia and their carers
2. Making dementia a European priority and supporting the development of dementia strategies
3. Promoting a rights based approach to dementia
4. Supporting dementia research
5. Strengthening the European dementia movement. Key aspects of the four-year programme of Alzheimer Europe are the Annual Conference bringing together the wider dementia community in Europe and the continued development of the European Working Group of People with Dementia to ensure that the views and experiences of people with dementia are fully integrated in AE activities.
In addition, the four-year programme will support the 2nd EU Joint Action on Dementia which are important initiatives and projects of the third health programme. Finally, the organisation will identify how best to support the European Solidarity Corps. It will do so by providing traineeship opportunities for young people to work with the AE secretariat and by promoting the European Solidarity Corps amongst its membership.