The Seventh framework programme of the European Community for research and technological development including demonstration activities (FP7) ran between 2007 an 2013, with the aim of strengthening industrial competitiveness and meeting the research needs of other Community (Commission) policies, building on a 'European research area' and complementing activities at a national and regional level.
It promoted excellence in scientific and technological research, development and demonstration through in four programme areas:
- Cooperation (including a thematic priority on health)
FP7 spought to build upon the achievements of the 'Sixth framework programme', support the creation of a 'European research area' and facilitate a move towards the development of a knowledge-based economy and society in Europe. Its objectives were:
- Support transnational cooperation on every scale across the EU
- Enhance investigator-driven basic research based on excellence
- Strengthen human potential in research and technology in Europe, both quantitatively and qualitatively
- Develop and enhance the excellence of European research institutions and universities.
Further information on the Framework Programme 7 is available at: https://cordis.europa.eu/fp7/dc/index.cfm