The European Commission and the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) have published the third edition the Country Health Profiles, part of the of the State of Health programme. The CHPs provide a concise and policy-relevant overview of health and health systems in the EU/European Economic area, emphasizing the particular characteristics and challenges in each country.
The 2021 edition has a specific focus on the impact and responses of European health systems to the COVID-19 pandemic. Each CHP provides a short synthesis of:
- • Health status (including mortality from COVID-19)
- • Risk factors to health (including behavioural and environmental risks)
- • The organisation of the health system and health spending
- • The effectiveness, accessibility and resilience of the health system to the pandemic.
An accompanying companion report focuses on three main takeaways:
- • Understanding the far-reaching health impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic
- • Maintaining the advantages of digital innovation in healthcare delivery and public health
- • Rethinking health workforce strategies and planning after the COVID-19 pandemic.
The CHPs are part of the State of Health in the EU cycle and are released once every two years, alternating with the release of Health at a Glance: Europe report. The CHPs and Companion Report can be found here: