Sirpa Pietikäinen MEP (EPP, Finland) is Chairperson of the European Alzheimer's Association for the 2019-2024 term.
Ms Pietikäinen became a Vice-Chairperson of the EAA in October 2014.
In the run-up to the European Parliament elections in May 2019, Sirpa Pietikäinen agreed to become Chairperson of the EAA and again signed Alzheimer Europe's European Dementia Pledge, thus affirming her support for greater EU collaboration on dementia.
You can view her profile as MEP on the following link:
In her contributions to Alzheimer Europe's campaign to make dementia a European priority she has also:
- opened the lunch debate at the European Parliament in December 2019 which focused on “Improving the diagnosis of dementia – Findings from European research collaborations”.
- agreed to be a Chairperson of the EAA for the period 2019-2024
- participated in a lunch debate in the European Parliament in June 2017 on current and future treatment for Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias
- hosted a lunch debate at the European Parliament in June 2016 which focused "Using the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UN CRPD) to support the rights of people living with dementia"
- signed EP Written Declaration 27/2016 to make dementia a top priority of the EU.
- gave the closing summary at an AE lunch debate on 1 December in Brussels entitled “Dementia, a priority of two EU Presidencies”
- gave the closing summary at an AE lunch debate at the European Parliament in Brussels on 30 June 2015, on the Global Action Against Dementia.
- signed the Glasgow Declaration on 29 January 2015.
- participated in an AE lunch debate in Brussels on 2 December 2014, on the topic of dementia prevention.
- agreed to be a Vice-Chairperson of the EAA in October 2014
- attended a European Parliament lunch debate in February 2014 that focused on the Innovative Medicines Initiative.
- attended a European Parliament lunch debate in December 2013 that focused on the European Dementia Monitor.
- attended a European Parliament lunch debate in June 2013 that focused on the results of the ALCOVE project.
- hosted a European Parliament lunch debate in February 2013 that was dedicated to clinical trials.
- attended a European Parliament lunch debate in December 2012 entitled “Living with dementia: learning from the experiences of people with dementia”.
- attended a European Parliament lunch debate in June 2012 which explored "Alzheimer’s disease in the new European public health and research programmes".
- hosted a European Parliament lunch debate in June 2011 entitled "the Alzheimer Cooperative Valuation in Europe" or ALCOVE project.
- attended a European Parliament lunch debate in June 2010 called “Alzheimer’s disease and dementia as a national priority: contrasting approaches by France and the UK”.
- participated in the interview with MEPs in the run up of the elections for Alzheimer Europe's "Election Special" in issue 3 of Dementia in Europe magazine in May 2009.
- signed EP Written Declaration 80/2008 on the priorities in the fight against Alzheimer's disease.
- joined the European Alzheimer's Alliance and signed the Paris Declaration in 2008.
Follow PIETIKÄINEN Sirpa and stay updated