Alzheimer Europe and the Alzheimer Europe Foundation would like to award an outstanding initiative aimed at combating stigma and promoting a positive image of dementia and people living with dementia. The award will consist of a cash prize of EUR 5,000 and a trophy which will be presented during the Alzheimer Europe Conference in Helsinki (17 October).
The award is open to individuals and organisations established in a member country of Alzheimer Europe for initiatives and projects which have been developed and/or implemented in the past three years (2020-2023).
The award can be for projects, campaigns, films/videos or publications/books which aim to address the stigma attached to dementia. The award will be for initiatives and projects rather than for individuals or associations.
The 2023 call will focus on initiatives and campaigns addressing the stigma experienced by people with dementia and their carers from specific groups:
- Minority ethnic groups
- LGBTQ+ community
- People with intellectual disability and/or Down syndrome
- Socio-economically disadvantaged groups.
Interested organisations and individuals should send in information on their initiative via the application form by 15 June at the latest.
Applicants may be short listed and may be asked to present their initiative to the members of the Award Committee at a virtual meeting on 10 July.
The winner of the award will be announced at the Alzheimer Europe Conference in Helsinki (17 October) and the travel and accommodation costs for the short listed initiatives will be covered by Alzheimer Europe.
- 17 April: Launch of call for applications
- 15 June: Deadline for submitting applications
- 30 June: Review of applications by Alzheimer Europe staff and members and selection of short listed applications to present their initiatives
- 10 July: Meeting of Award Committee to shortlist final three applications or to select three winner
- 17 October: Presentation by three short listed initiative and presentation of awards during networking dinner at Alzheimer Europe Conference
- 2022 Anti-Stigma Award Winner: Niel Janssen (Alzheimer Centre Limburg, Maastricht, Netherlands)
- Alzheimer Europe: Maria do Rosário Zincke Dos Reis and Mario Possenti
- European Dementia Carers Working Group: Magnús Karl Magnússon and Zornitsa Karagyozova
- European Working Group of People with Dementia: Chris Roberts and Kevin Quaid
- Alzheimer Europe Foundation: Heike von Lützau-Hohlbein (Chairperson), Helen Rochford-Brennan and Iva Holmerová
- Lilly: Laura Campo
- Roche: Jannice Roeser