Alzheimer Europe and the Alzheimer Europe Foundation will award an outstanding initiative aimed at combating stigma and promoting a positive image of dementia and people living with dementia. The award consists of a cash prize of EUR 5,000 and a trophy which will be presented during the Alzheimer Europe Conference in Helsinki (17 October) the travel and accommodation costs for the short-listed initiatives will be covered by Alzheimer Europe.
The award application was open to individuals and organisations established in a member country of Alzheimer Europe for initiatives and projects which have been developed and/or implemented in the past three years (2020-2023) from 17 April to 15 June 2023).
The award can be for projects, campaigns, films/videos or publications/books which aim to address the stigma attached to dementia. The award will be for initiatives and projects rather than for individuals or associations.
The 2023 call focussed on initiatives and campaigns addressing the stigma experienced by people with dementia and their carers from specific groups:
- Minority ethnic groups
- LGBTQ+ community
- People with intellectual disability and/or Down syndrome
- Socio-economically disadvantaged groups.
- 17 April: Launch of call for applications
- 15 June: Deadline for submitting applications
- 30 June: Review of applications by Alzheimer Europe staff and members and selection of short listed applications to present their initiatives
- 10 July: Meeting of Award Committee to shortlist final three applications or to select three winners
- 17 October: Presentation by three short listed initiative and presentation of awards during networking dinner at Alzheimer Europe Conference
- 2022 Anti-Stigma Award Winner: Niels Janssen (Alzheimer Centre Limburg, Maastricht, Netherlands)
- Alzheimer Europe: Maria do Rosário Zincke Dos Reis and Mario Possenti
- European Dementia Carers Working Group: Magnús Karl Magnússon and Zornitsa Karagyozova
- European Working Group of People with Dementia: Chris Roberts and Kevin Quaid
- Alzheimer Europe Foundation: Heike von Lützau-Hohlbein (Chairperson), Helen Rochford-Brennan and Iva Holmerová
- Lilly: Laura Campo
- Roche: Jannice Roeser