Association Luxembourg Alzheimer celebrates 30 years
Thursday 16 February 2017
This year, Association Luxembourg Alzheimer (ALA) celebrates its 30th birthday. 2017 also marks 25 years of the Fondation Alzheimer and 10 years since the opening of the association’s dementia nursing home and day care centre “Beim Goldknapp” in Erpeldange-sur-Sûre.
To mark this momentous year, a variety of events are planned, involving the general public, healthcare professionals and people with dementia and their families. The programme includes seminars, a birthday party, an art festival, an open day and an academic session, among others.
Some of the highlights of the celebration will be:
- A limited edition 30th anniversary stamp (pictured) will be available at national post offices as of 1 March.
- Seminars for families and professionals will take place in March and April.
- On Luxembourg’s national day, 23 June, an art festival “Konschtfestival” will open in Lellingen. The theme will be “l’art rend visible” (art makes us visible) and exhibited works will be exclusively by people living with dementia.
- On World Alzheimer’s Day (21 September), the Beim Goldknapp nursing home/day care centre will host a 10th birthday party, inviting the residents and their families.
- On 23 September the ALA will host its annual Memory Walk, starting from the place Clairefontaine in the capital city of Luxembourg.
- On 18 October, there will be a special seminar held, called “Donnons la parole aux spécialistes de la démence” (let’s hear from the dementia experts”. People living with dementia will share their thoughts and experiences. The seminar will involve the speakers’ families and other carers and professionals and will particularly emphasise the importance of avoiding isolation and of supporting rather than taking control for people with dementia.
To see further details of what is planned, please visit the ALA website http://ala.lu/