Launch of the European Year 2012 Awards for active ageing and solidarity between generations
Thursday 21 June 2012
On 21 June, the European Commission announced the launch of the "European Year 2012 Awards: Honouring the best initiatives that promote active ageing and solidarity between generations".
The Awards will recognise organisations and individuals that promote active ageing through their activities. They are part of the European Year for Active Ageing and Solidarity between Generations. There are six award categories:
- Workplaces for all Ages: best initiatives by employers, trade unions and non-profit organisations that promote better working conditions for older employees.
- Towards Age-Friendly Environments: outstanding initiatives by regional or local authorities that create an inclusive and accessible local environment which facilitates active ageing and has a positive effect on health and on the quality of life of all generations.
- Social Entrepreneurs: most successful initiatives undertaken by social entrepreneurs in promoting active ageing and solidarity between generations.
- Reporting on Ageing and Relations between Generations: journalistic work that has made a significant contribution to a better understanding of the challenges presented by an ageing society and how they can be tackled, thus raising the level of the public debate and promoting better policymaking.
- Life Story Challenge: story of an older person, including noteworthy contributions that the "active ager" is making in the family, in society or at work.
The competition is open until 1 September 2012 to all citizens of EU Member States, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. The finalists in each category will be invited to an awards ceremony in November.