Completed AE projects
ERICA stands for “Euro-Réseau d’Information et Communication Alzheimer,” which roughly translated means European Network of Information and Communication relating to Alzheimer’s Disease. This project coincided with the setting up of our offices in Luxembourg in 1996.
Funding and duration
ERICA was funded by the European Commission under the programme "Actions in favour of people suffering from neurodegenerative diseases, more particularly Alzheimer type (DAT) and related disorders, and their (informal) carers" and ran from 15 July 1996 to 15 April 1998.
All the Alzheimer associations which were members of Alzheimer Europe at the time of the project were involved in ERICA.
Through this project Alzheimer Europe aimed to:
- co-ordinate the setting up of organisations in countries and regions with limited facilities and to play the role of intermediary between different European organisations in order to facilitate common and transnational projects;
- improve the sharing of relevant information;
- facilitate the setting up of a computer network to improve communication between different Alzheimer associations in Europe.
The ERICA project involved collecting information on existing European organisations operating in the field of Alzheimer's disease and related disorders, information about the disease, statistics and models of practice in Europe, as well as translating texts of general interest in the field of Alzheimer's disease. Another important feature of the ERICA project involved the creation of a computer network, intended on the one hand, to assemble the associations active in the field of Alzheimer's disease and on the other hand, to disseminate information via Internet to the general public and professionals, as well as to political and administrative bodies.
The results of the ERICA project included:
- The sharing of information and experience through improved communication between Alzheimer associations in Europe;
- The organisation of projects of common interest between several European countries;
- An internet site containing information about the aims of Alzheimer Europe, contact details of its member associations and information about European projects, Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia in all the official languages of the European Union. This Internet site has since been updated and improved several times.
Last Updated: mercredi 25 avril 2012